Tired of Being Impressive
I've been thinking about something lately:
I don't want to be impressive anymore.
That doesn't mean I've stopped caring about doing good work. I still have goals. I still want to grow. I still want to accomplish things I'm proud of. But I'm becoming less interested in how my life looks from the outside and more interested in how it actually feels to live it.
For a long time, I think I confused the two.
The Highlight Reel Life
It's easy to build a life that looks good from a distance.
A good job. A nice house. A successful career. A family that looks happy in pictures. A list of accomplishments that makes people say, "Wow, you've really done a lot."
But a life can look beautiful in a photograph and still be exhausting to live. A photograph captures a moment. It doesn't capture the sleepless nights, the arguments, the anxiety, the loneliness, or the constant pressure to keep everything looking good.
Sometimes I wonder how much of our lives are spent decorating the picture instead of actually enjoying the moment.
I've Spent Some Time Chasing the Wrong Things
I've wanted people to think I was successful. I've wanted to be respected. I've wanted people to know that I was capable. I've wanted to prove that the setbacks didn't define me. I've wanted to prove that I belonged in certain rooms. And if I'm being honest, I've sometimes measured my progress by how my life compares to someone else's.
That's exhausting.
It's like running a race where the finish line moves every time you get close to it.
You accomplish something, and instead of enjoying it, you start wondering what you need to accomplish next.
You get the degree, and suddenly there's another credential.
You get the job, and suddenly there's another position.
You reach a goal, and five minutes later you're looking at someone else's life wondering why you're not further ahead.
At some point, you have to ask yourself:
WHO EXACTLY AM I TRYING TO IMPRESS?
Maybe Success Is a Smaller Word Than We Think
We've made success incredibly complicated.
We measure it in salaries, titles, followers, square footage, vacations, degrees, and achievements.
But what if success is quieter than that?
What if success is having people you can call when life falls apart?
What if it's being someone your kids feel safe talking to?
What if it's going to bed without spending the entire night worrying about what other people think of you?
What if it's doing meaningful work without needing everyone to know you did it?
What if it's becoming comfortable enough with yourself that you don't need to enter every room proving you belong there?
Those things probably won't make a very impressive LinkedIn profile.
But they might make for a pretty good life.
The Trophy Room
Sometimes I picture our lives like a trophy room.
We spend years collecting things to put on the shelves.
Degrees. Promotions. Awards. Accomplishments. Recognition.
We polish them.
We arrange them.
We hope people notice them.
But eventually, you have to walk out of the trophy room and actually live.
Nobody wants to spend their entire life standing in a room full of trophies wondering why they aren't happy.
The trophies aren't bad.
They just were never supposed to be the point.
I Want a Life That Feels Good From the Inside
Maybe that's what I'm after now.
Not a life that looks perfect from the outside. A life that feels honest from the inside.
I want to be able to laugh without worrying about how I look. I want to enjoy dinner without thinking about the next thing I need to accomplish. I want to be present with people instead of wondering what they think about me. I want to be able to say, "I don't know," without feeling like I have something to prove. I want to be proud of my accomplishments without needing them to make me feel worthy.
And I want to be able to look at my life someday and say, "I actually enjoyed being here."
Maybe That's the Point
I don't think God called us to spend our lives building the most impressive version of ourselves.
I think we're called to become people who love well, serve well, live honestly, and use whatever we've been given for something bigger than ourselves.
There is nothing wrong with success.
There is something dangerous about needing success to tell you who you are.
Because eventually, the title changes. The career changes. The money changes. The attention moves somewhere else.
And if your identity is built on being impressive, what happens when you aren't?
Maybe that's why I'm learning to hold accomplishment with an open hand.
I'll celebrate it.
I'll be grateful for it.
I'll work hard for it.
But I don't want to worship it.
A Final Thought
I think I'm entering a season where I care less about being impressive and more about being present.
Less about being admired and more about being known.
Less about proving what I've accomplished and more about appreciating what I've been given.
Maybe that's part of growing older.
You start realizing that the things you thought would make you happy aren't necessarily the things that do.
Maybe the goal isn't to build a life that makes other people say, "Wow."
Maybe the goal is to build a life that makes you quietly say, "Thank you."
I don't want to spend the rest of my life polishing the trophy room.
I want to walk outside. I want to breathe. I want to laugh. I want to love people well. I want to follow God even when I don't know exactly where He's leading. I want to enjoy the ordinary Tuesday afternoons that I'll probably miss someday.
And when it's all said and done, I don't need my life to have been impressive.
I just want it to have been meaningful.
Comments
Post a Comment