The Valley Changed Me
If I had been given the choice, there are seasons of my life I would have skipped entirely.
The betrayal.
The disappointment.
The unanswered prayers.
The relationships that ended.
The hurt caused by people I trusted.
The hurt I caused people who trusted me.
At the time, I couldn't understand why God would allow me to walk through some of those valleys.
Today, I still wouldn't call those seasons easy, but I would call them valuable.
Because I've discovered something I never could have learned on the mountaintop:
God does some of His best work in the valley.
People Can Wound You. They Don't Have to Define You.
Some of the deepest pain we'll ever experience doesn't come from circumstances. It comes from people.
People we loved. People we trusted. People we served alongside. People we thought would never hurt us.
Those wounds run deep because they involve the heart.
For a long time, I thought healing meant forgetting or pretending it didn't happen. I've learned that's not healing. Healing isn't pretending the wound never existed. It's reaching the place where the wound no longer controls your life.
Forgiveness doesn't erase the past. It loosens its grip on your future.
I've learned that carrying bitterness is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to become sick.
Eventually, you realize that letting go isn't something you do for the other person. It's something you do so your own heart can breathe again.
Joy Can't Wait for the Mountaintop
One of the biggest surprises of my life has been discovering that joy and suffering can exist at the same time.
For years, I thought joy would come after the struggle ended.
After the answer came.
After the pain was gone.
After life finally made sense.
But God taught me something different. Joy isn't the absence of suffering. It's the presence of hope in the middle of it.
Some of the sweetest moments I've experienced with God didn't happen when everything was going well. They happened when He was all I had.
The valley has a way of stripping away the things we thought we needed until we discover that Christ really is enough.
The Valley Reveals What You're Made Of
Pressure has a way of exposing what's already inside us.
The valley reveals:
Our fears.
Our idols.
Our insecurities.
Our pride.
But it also reveals:
Our resilience.
Our faith.
Our courage.
Our dependence on God.
Mountaintops are wonderful places to celebrate. Valleys are where character is formed.
It's easy to trust God when prayers are answered. It's much harder to trust Him when heaven feels quiet.
Yet those are often the moments that strengthen our faith the most.
Gratitude Changes How We Remember the Valley
I've noticed something interesting.
When I only focus on what I lost, the valley feels wasted. But when I remember what God taught me there, everything changes.
The valley taught me compassion.
It taught me humility.
It taught me patience.
It taught me to listen more and judge less.
It taught me that my identity isn't found in a title, a position, or someone else's approval.
Most importantly, it taught me that God's presence is often experienced most deeply when everything else has been stripped away.
I wouldn't wish those seasons on anyone.
But I also wouldn't trade what God produced through them.
A New Season Doesn't Mean You Forget
Healing isn't pretending the valley never happened. It's carrying its lessons into the next season of your life.
Scars aren't signs that you failed. They're reminders that God brought you through something that once threatened to break you.
Some of the strongest, kindest, most compassionate people I know are that way because life wounded them, but they let God heal them instead of harden them.
That's the invitation for all of us.
Not to escape suffering. But to let suffering produce something beautiful.
A Final Thought
If you're in the valley today, I know it probably doesn't feel like a gift.
It may feel lonely.
Confusing.
Unfair.
Heavy.
I've been there.
But I've also lived long enough to look back and see something I couldn't see while I was walking through it.
God never wasted a single tear.
He used every disappointment to deepen my faith.
Every betrayal to teach me forgiveness.
Every unanswered prayer to teach me trust.
Every valley to prepare me for the next season.
I still don't thank God for every painful thing that's happened to me, but I do thank Him for what He has done in me because of those things.
The valley didn't destroy me. It revealed me.
And more importantly, it introduced me to a God who never left my side.
Looking back now, I realize the greatest gift wasn't that God led me out of the valley. It was that He met me in it, and I didn't leave the same person who walked in.
Comments
Post a Comment